Cultures in Globalization
Class meets Wednesdays 6:00 - 8:50 pm in LANG 214
You can find SUPPLEMENTAL READINGS for our class
by clicking here.
In this course we will explore why and how culture matters in a
globalizing world. Through the books, lectures, films and class
discussions we will trace the shift from modern political movements
to the place of policy in a postmodern era. This also entails a shift in
the conceptualization of culture from a static one to an inherently
- Appadurai, Arjun. 1996. Modernity at Large: Cultural
Dimensions of Globalization. Minneapolis: University of
- Rao, Vijayendra and Michael Walton (eds), 2004. Culture
and Public Action. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- ASSIGNMENT ( You can find SUPPLEMENTAL READINGS for our
class by clicking here).
- Introduction and Overview of Course
- Documentary: FLOW: For Love of Water, Director:
Irena Salina. global water crisis. www.
- Appadurai, Modernity at Large: Cultural
Dimensions of Globalization.
- Chapter One.
- Chapter Two.
- Documentary: Cadillac Desert IV: Last Oasis.
PBS Doc 1997 How America’s Dams became
examples for large water projects abroad,
particularly in developing countries. Moving from
India and China, Mexico, the Middle East, back to
the American West
- Appadurai, Modernity at Large.
- Chapter Three
- Chapter Four
- Appadurai, Modernity at Large,
- Ch 5
- Ch 6
- Catch up on whatever Appadurai we have already
- Appadurai, Modernity at Large, Part III
- Ch 7
- Ch 8
- Ch 9
- Week VII: Wed, MAR 4
- Week VIII: Wed, MAR 11
- Week IX: Wed, MAR 25
|Learn More about
Our World Rivers
Click on this Photo
Dr. Irene J. Klaver,
Office Hours: by appointment.
Keith W. Brown
Office Hours: by appointment