Summer I 2008
|To Learn More About
Click on his Photo
Each semester I offer a free intensive reading group for
DISCIPLINED students. The purpose of the groups is to examine
most rigorously one text or idea in the life-work of a philosopher.
To see the schedule for Summer I 2008, go here.
To see the tentative schedule for Fall 2008, go here.
For Summer II 2008 we will be doing Karl Jaspers' method of
PERIECHONTOLOGIE, or getting at being from around the edges.
This method is most clearly worked out in his VOM DER
WAHRHEIT for which there is no full translation in English.
However, a significant portion is reproduced in KARL JASPERS
BASIC PHILOSOPHICAL WRITINGS.
The name next to the assignment is the person who has agreed
to do a protocol of the reading for our meeting.
- Read "History and Man" from Way to Wisdom. Download
- Read Truth & Symbol, Chapter One. Download here.
- Read Truth & Symbol, Chapter Two. Download here.
- Read Truth & Symbol, Chapter Three. Download here.
- Read Truth & Symbol, Chapter Four. Download here.
- Read Part Two : What is Man?
- The New Situation, pp. 37-61
- The New Perspective, pp. 61-124
- Read Keith Brown, "The I-Not I Discourse". Download here.
- Read Part Three: What is Philosophy?
- Introduction, pp. 124-137
- Periechontology, pp. 137-209
- Read Richard Owsley, "Karl Jaspers: Metaphysics,
Ontology, and Periechontology." Download here.